Monday, July 23, 2012

No Mercy Album Review

Okay this is the first time I'm blogging through my phone and it's cuz I sort of can't sleep with No Mercy album playing and I keep thinking of reviewing it but never getting the chance so I'm just gonna start first, not even sure if I'm gonna post this but yeah. I just gotta get it out there.

I mean I think we all agree that No Mercy is a very awesome title track. It's not lacking from the other title tracks so far (in fact I like this far more than Power - less unnecessary noises but more whistle sounds which is like their trademark) but I was very dissatisfied by the music video.

Okay so I'm just gonna assume that we all know that TSEnt spent half a mil on PROPS ONLY for the first two MVs (the alien robot thingy then the spaceship) so I'm guessing they wanted to cut off expenditures due to probably the sales being lower than expected target. Okay fine whatever no more fancy props. BUT. The Matoki head is already there and in existence, right? No more money have to be spent. What, you can't find another person to just pop that thing on his head and walk? Then they had to hire a different director too like why? That's the director that made us fall in love with Warrior in the first place. Same director with SuJu = same sets a.k.a awkward empty rooms.

Ika said the other day "now they look like a normal boy group" and that actually made me sad. Because to me, B.A.P isn't just another boy group. Which is why I chose them over EXO. EXO is just an image of the perfect boy band concluded by SMent through their experiences with previous boy bands they had like SuJu, SHINee n DBSK. They were trained hard to fit this image. But B.A.P's different. They started off with Bang's hip hop concept in mind. But to make it in the Korean music industry of course they had to be somewhat pop-ish, and to stand out from the rest they needed something different. So from Bang's hip hop idea they morphed it into a tough, badass boy band concept, with strong pop-like vocals of Daehyun and Youngjae, then Jongup who's what you can say a free-spirit that can do b-boy when hip hop is involve, but then can pop it and do it slick and sexy when needed too. They had the perfect ingredients tbh, and I salute TSent for that, but No Mercy was just kinda lower to my expectations. Not the music, not the dance no, just the music video. But let's admit it. The music video's what makes the song, especially to non-fanatics. Power got 1 mil views in 3 days and No Mercy's still at 600k after 5/6 days.

Okay enough with that I think I got a bit off topic. Now to the tracklist. Talking bout that fyi TSent had to 'throw out' 50k of the first few copies due to a printing error and here I am facepalming and pitiying all those people who preordered and now have to wait till the 25th for the physical album to be done (mind you, just be like done fresh out of the printing factory, not distributed yet then there's the shipping sobs poor them). So back to the tracklist that consists of 5 songs including the title track, Goodbye which was released earlier and 3 unreleased songs (now released ofc lol).

Goodbye came out like 5 days after their showcase in Malaysia and I was like whoa whoa slow down, boys. Why so fast. Then I realized Warrior-Power time distance was actually the same as Power-No Mercy time distance (aprx 3 months) which made me sad to think how busy the boys are :c but then I remember they're up against a group by SMent for Best Rookie Group awards so I try to think positively. Ugh why do I always go off topic. Goodbye was effing awesome, what with the super cute matoki MV (which makes me wonder if they're gonna make an anime or something from this lol and that's the opening theme but idk) and the music traditional rock-based, with the complete drum-guitar-bass set which, I think everyone should know is my basic fav genre actually (hint:my ultimate bias group is CNBLUE afterall). I loved it with it's meaningful not-love-themed lyrics, Daehyun's vocals and the just-enough amount of rap (but not enough HimUp lines sobs). It was a start to a very expectant crowd.

Then No Mercy came out (everyone including me loved it ofc, totally oblivious of the lack in the MV due to our spazzing over oppas. Thats another thing. Because they're already awesome in general everyone decided to look over the MV details so). Then I listened to the other songs and I was really annoyed with something.

In their first two albums, there was sort of a sequence of 1. The swag intro track, doesnt go over 2 mins. 2. The title track 3. The tougher, more to hiphop mix with slight rock (usually my fav track in the album) and 4. The ballad song (usually my least fav but i suck it up). Thing is, they didnt use this 'format' for No Mercy. Ok i get it first mini album, has to be special etc etc. But not only did they lack swag (the intro) but then they cut off the hiphop too, put 2 slow songs and a dance mix.

I was utterly dissappointed. Where's Bang's hiphop concept?

Okay okay maybe I'm being rash here. Voicemail was technically composed by Bang so I shouldnt question his rights or anything lol plus his satoori idea still worked it in No Mercy. I guess they just took Voicemail as the hiphop track when they were thinking of the variety of the tracklist. But in my opinion that is, they made a much less exciting album, coming from a group who's main concept was supposed to be tough and badass. Still, Voicemail is my fav from the 3, meaningful 'i dont need you' lyrics and Zelo's powerful rap and the guitar line.

Dancing in the Rain was refreshing - somewhat cute and sexy themed track from the tough guys haha. I liked it, smiled while reading the trans (i was laughing when i read No Mercy's trans. They're too cool for anyone's asses tbh). But then What My Heart Says (or something like that. its too long plus i couldnt bother since I didnt like it much) was slow and emotional. It is a ballad afterall. Wasn't my taste but I guess even tough guys have actual deep emotions. But i guess I would've liked it if they had replaced this with something stronger, to support their tough image. Something like no.3 tracks in their previous albums. It was overall good with a disappointing end.

Okay so I might sound mean but this is my honest opinion on my 2nd bias group's album, and my dissatisfaction was even more reason to write about it. I wanted to do something like this with Ear Fun too tbh but the only things I had to complain about was the need of concept change and the absence of Jonghyun's slow track so I didn't take the time but I just had to with No Mercy this time.
I get it. Nothing has to go my way and like the boys worked really hard and all. I get it. But there's always room for improvement, right? And i want the boys to do well too and for someone to do well they need to look at where they're lacking and improve. So in my opinion, this is how they can improve and keep up to par with their epicness. You might have a different opinion and that's fine with me.

So that's all for tonight. Almost time for sahur. I'll try to get some sleep before mom knocks on my door.
Out.
P.S, although I didn't like the ballad I still have it on my plalylist cuz I like listening to Jongup's singsong voice c: yes I'm very much biased. Lol k bye
P.P.S, I forgot to mention No Mercy also lacked of Himchan's derp faces lol. But at he looked really really hot :>

No comments:

Post a Comment