Thursday, January 30, 2014

dead leaves.






---


while in South Korea, I was sharing a room with an unnie and one night she went to another room to pack up her stuff with her family. I was alone in the room so I surfed channels and found a documentary on Arirang. It was about a father from a country I'm not really sure where, probably somewhere in India or somewhere near. He was working in the city, leaving behind his family in the rural area. The narration was of the father's letter to his son. He was reminiscing his life back in his hometown, when he would play around and be careless and he excepts nothing more from his son. He says that this is the time for him to be careless and discover that the world isn't perfect.
He reminisces times when they would make boats that would float on the rivers. He says that now, too, he is learning how to make boats that will work. He says that dreams do come true, but sometimes it doesn't come the way you expect it. There was a line that really caught my attention. He said, "Maybe behind all the noises of the machines here in the city, I'm trying to deafen myself from the voice that rings inside my head, 'what am I doing here?'"



No comments:

Post a Comment